Pinblock partial replacement?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:26:32 -0500

I've never replace one of those curved, etc. blocks, but I know a number =
of folks that will say to not be intimidated by them (I think Del =
Fandrich wrote just that recently on this list) - it's just not that =
hard to shape (electric hand plane, belt sander, etc.). Failing that, =
IMHO, I would recommend plugging with half-inch pinblock plugs. I have =
plugged and replaced sections by routing. I've done the =
sectional/routing method on uprights, but on the upright I can epoxy a =
number of big dowels through the new section into the framing/backposts. =
Done this way on the grand you would have quite a bit of torqueing =
strain on the one epoxy joint around the perimeter of the insert. Not =
sure I would be comfortable with that (I know, I know, the epoxy bond =
should be stronger than the wood). When I have plugged grand blocks, I =
set the plugs into epoxy. With the plugs you have a lot more epoxy/wood =
jointing area. I realize that much of the block will be drilled out in =
areas, but you will still be left with more original block and more =
epoxy joint surface area with the plugs compared to the insert. Just the =
way I see it. Please disregard if you do not agree.  ;-)

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 1:56 PM
  Subject: Pinblock partial replacement?

  Does anyone have handy a reference to repairing a pinblock by routing =
out the center section and replacing it?  I've looked in these archives =
and in the 20 years of the journal, and haven't found it.  Searching on =
"pinblock" gives a lot of hits!  Even adding "insert, partial, and =
router" doesn't help...

  My friend has a Chickering grand with a stepped, curved, two-piece =
block to replace, and this looks like a good approach.

  --Cy Shuster--
  Rochester, MN