stradavarious/ piano tone

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:28:16 -0800

Joe,

At 09:28 PM 3/4/2004, you wrote:

>Horace,
>When I saw/heard it, they had not done the above. It was completely the
>Horowitz piano at that time. Everyone, of our chapter, commented on the
>touch weight, (too light), and the pucky tone emitted by the hammers that
>Horowitz "insisted" on, contrary to what his tuner wanted and suggested. I
>submit, that by the time you saw/heard it, Steinway had heard far too many
>negative comments and this motivated them to change it. I have not heard it
>since they messed with it.

With respect, I saw, played and heard the Horowitz piano in the basement at
Steinway Hall a number of times over the years.  What you saw and heard
when the instrument was sent on tour was subsequent to changes being made,
not before.  The same instrument made the round in LA, too...sounding and
feeling nothing like it had.

The instrument, as set up for Horowitz was, quite literally, unplayable by
anyone else.  What was sent on tour was certainly headed in the same
direction; but simply was not the same.  Yes, they did change it (again),
and yes, no one liked it even then; however, it still was not as it had been.

Overall, it does not matter.  What he liked, and what Franz was required to
provide was the product of many things.  If you have the chance to catch
Franz in a class some time, ask him to tell about the Moscow recital, after
which, Horowitz finally told him that he could take it back "just a
bit".  I think there are still recordings of that recital available.

This kind of thing really begins to come under the heading of being an
urban myth...just because the advertising hype says a certain thing is so,
does not make it so.

Best regards.

Horace