stradavarious/ piano tone

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:28:38 -0800

Horace said: "The instrument that has been circulated as having been the
Horowitz piano
was certainly that...with one small change - it was completely rehammered
and the weigh-off changed before it left New York for those tours.  What
has been seen is only a portion, and a small one at that, of what the
instrument had been.  Skimmed milk, once more, masquerading as cream."

Horace,
When I saw/heard it, they had not done the above. It was completely the
Horowitz piano at that time. Everyone, of our chapter, commented on the
touch weight, (too light), and the pucky tone emitted by the hammers that
Horowitz "insisted" on, contrary to what his tuner wanted and suggested. I
submit, that by the time you saw/heard it, Steinway had heard far too many
negative comments and this motivated them to change it. I have not heard it
since they messed with it.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police