stradavarious/ piano tone

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:34:13 -0600

An old friend told me about a convention he was at which had a demonstration
of action and tone, from 4 different pianos. Don't know the name of the player..

 When the tuners were asked their opinions on tone ; those who answered
had various descriptions of what they thought. All seemed valid, but the one
that
caught his attention was a blind tuner. All he said was that a particular piano
sang, while the others played. In that instant he understood what was meant. The
piano
had a mellow, sustained sound, which seemed to produce all the frequencies in a
rounded wave that reached you at the same time. It was played later by some of
the
tuners, but didn't impress him the same way. I do think that the artist can make
all the
difference  in tone ,"  if it's available to him."
I was able to gain( some) understanding of what to listen for in a good piano
tone.
Do we all have our own feeling of tone which pleases us but not someone else,
like
favorite colors?? ( blonds, brunettes, redheads ) eeeeehhh   Maybe not

Carl