stradavarious/ piano tone

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:38:31 -0800

Joe,

At 04:20 PM 3/4/2004, you wrote:
>In the same vein, any one who has played on the Horowitz 9' S&S, knows that
>Vladimir made that piano sing, but by anyone else, the piano SUCKS, (IMO).
>Because of that one thing, I do think that the artist can/does elicit the
>tone and character of the instrument, to some degree

The instrument that has been circulated as having been the Horowitz piano
was certainly that...with one small change - it was completely rehammered
and the weigh-off changed before it left New York for those tours.  What
has been seen is only a portion, and a small one at that, of what the
instrument had been.  Skimmed milk, once more, masquerading as cream.

Horace