demi-queue

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:22:33 -0700

>  About the semi-queue:

I thought it was demi-queue.  Are the terms interchangeable?

>2 metres would be about 6.562 feet (about 6 feet 6 1/2 inches).

Right you are.  I shouldn't make it sound smaller than it is.  A
respectable size.

>As far as some other interesting terms/expressions are concerned:
>- 'n'est pas une parole en l'air' means 'not words spoken lightly';

Thanks.

>- 'monobloc' is a term which usually indicates that something is
>made in one piece, as opposed to assembled elements;

So I had assumed.  But one piece of what?  A solid 5' x 5' block of
maple?  Several pieces of 5' x 5' Baltic birch plywood stacked and
glued and then cut out?

>Another interesting term, from Stephane Collin's post, is the term
>'crapaud' which translates literally as 'toad'.

I have heard some small grands referred to in English by a similar
term.  A four letter word starting with t and ending with d, but with
a couple of different letters in between.  The word crapaud calls it
to mind.

Phil Ford