Zinging dampers

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 06:39:09 -0500

At 9:40 PM -0800 3/2/04, David Love wrote:
>Need a quick fix for a recording studio piano with several zinging dampers
>in the tenor section.  Is the flat or split damper more likely to be the
>culprit in such a case.

As a rule, wedge make their noise on the way up and flats on the way
down. If your tenor dampers have one in the front and the other in
the back (not likely in a bigger piano), you can tip the damer head
front to back to favor one side (and remove the other side from the
equation) to see which one is making the noise.

But I'd guess what you're talking is the "oink" from the flats. And
I've tried everything (including fabric softener!), and still have no
answer. Were it lift noise coming from the wedges, you could put on
vertical grain felt (which will turn into flat felt within six
months).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request