Zinging dampers

Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:57:30 +0100

David Love wrote:

> Need a quick fix for a recording studio piano with several zinging dampers
> in the tenor section.  Is the flat or split damper more likely to be the
> culprit in such a case.  I could, of course, change the damper felt on the
> offending notes but would prefer another method.  I have had some success
> dragging a bit of sandpaper across the felt.  It seems to rough it up a
> bit, though I don't know how long it will last.  Any suggestions?

Depends on the amount of crust and where. Obviously if you have gunk on
the flat trebles you have to change. On wedges tho you can use a
toothbrush or some light sandpaper to remove some, but you already know
this.

Recording studio ??... change them... all the way up to where the split
damper ends. Normal crust is most likely on the wedges yes ??

Cheers
RicB