buckskin/leather hammers and covers

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:19:43 -0600

I would very  much like a set of hammer leathering cauls.  On most square
grands, in order to get the same tone that the earlier pianos had, you will
find the factory covered the modern style felt hammers with leather from the
center on up through the treble.

The earliest pianos had leather covered hammers.  I have restored several
sets of all leather hammers.  (You cannot use the old leather it is simply
turning into powder.  The tone turns out very nice in a historic kind of
way.  One type of hammer starts out with a 1/4"x 1/4" square of heavy solid
leather glued to the end of the center molding and then that square is
shaped into a half circle.  Then with one layer of softer suede leather at a
time the hammer is built up gluing and drying each one.  Hot glue, of
course.  Almost every layer is chamfered at the ends and some layers do not
go all the way around.  I use the original hammers as patterns counting
layers and notating full or partial layer.  There is no glue in the 11
o'clock to 1 o'clock area of any layer as a rule.  There are some layers
that only have non glued leather layered between glued layers at the crown.
You end up with a hammer which is very much shaped like a modern felt hammer
in most cases and matches the piano's original hammers.  Also if you glued
correctly and stretched the leather enough you have a leather hammer that
will bounce just like a new felt hammer will if you drop it.  You want the
bounce to rebound from the string in a key stroke.  The one important thing
is to keep sharpening your leather knife as leather dulls the best blade
very quickly.  There is much trimming and skiving to do in a project like
this one.

Some smaller and earlier pianos turned the hammers 90 degrees so there is
not room for a hammer larger than a dime or they will rub each other.  These
round hammers are much quicker and easier to make.

You cannot use buckskin any more unless you burn a sliver of it to make sure
it is chrome tanned.  Vegetable or Alum-tanned leather will only last about
6 years and you have wasted all that work to repeat it every 6 years.
(If you do not know about leather tanning read the leather page on my
technical tips page at the website below)

If anyone has equipment for leathering such hammers as used in a factory, I
would like to have it or to copy it.

I would never consider synthetic leather for anything unless I only expected
it to hold up for a year or two.  I have tested every synthetic material
made for pianos, player pianos, pipe organs and reed organs in the last 30+
years and I have learned that only original materials will take the abuse.
Chrome tanning is essential in leather now because of our pollution.  If you
player buffs are using the old tan pouch leather you will be in for a shock
when your restoration will not last for over 12 years.  Chrome tanned
leather lasts 50+ years that we know of.  Good enough for me.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com