Knuckle type

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:23:12 -0600

Joe,

At 17:22 3/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hey all,
> >What is the name of this kind or style of knuckle (besides old)?
> >Barbara Richmond
>
>That be a "pear" knuckle.
>Conrad Hoffsommer,

>Where do you guys/gals get this stuff?!!!!! A "pear" knuckle?!!!! I don't
>think so!<G> The name that was given to me, years ago, was Kimball Knuckle,
>as this was first used by Kimball.

As recently as the age of disco, when I was starting in piano work, "pear
knuckle" was the only name I ever heard those beasties called. [at least,
in polite company...]

For a long time, the only pianos I saw with them in were Baldwins - imagine
my confusion if I were thinking Kimball. ;-}
[no comment,  RicB!!]

>  I can document that with a verrrrry olde
>Service Manual that shows the correct jack alignment for these little
>beasties.

I've got a Trefz catalog which has a picture of the pear/Thayer shank, but
the price listing for the Thayer has the wrong identifying
letter.  Apparently, confusion as to nomenclature regarding this part is
not a new thing.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder