tone change

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:33:38 -0600

At 13:01 3/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Duaine,
>
>Thanks for your reply.  I hadn't thought of the grooves made by bass
>string windings.  It seems that the bass section is usually where I notice
>this too so that makes sense.  The problem here is that the biggest change
>in tone is in the middle section, third through fifth octaves.
>
>I also agree about hammer shaping but this is an old monster, It's past
>filing and needs new hammers.  I don't think this old fella is really worth it.
>
>chris

Did you roll the bridge/cap right off the soundboard?

I tuned an old Baldwin 243 a couple weeks ago - in an elementary school I'd
never been to before.  The tone fell off a cliff as I went up past the
treble break.  The cap had separated 2-3mm from the base for about an
octave. If it weren't for long bridge pins...

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder