Glassing pinblocks

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 01:40:05 +1000

At 7:38 PM -0700 29/6/04, David Love wrote:

>other things, the very reason mentioned in Jon's post.  Sometimes you get
>some drift on the block when the screws go in and what was a nice fit is
>not quite as nice.  Though a 100% fit to the flange may be more than is
>necessary, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Agreed. I suspect a good fit all the way along can aid tuning stability.

>  The amount of time involved in this
>final step is minimal compared with the problems that can arise from a
>poorly fit block.  As a safety measure, and for my own peace of mind, I
>think it's well worth the minimal trouble.

Here here. We fit the plank with the plate inverted also. Once it is
fitted to the flange reasonably well with the screw holes drilled and
screws fitted, we drill a location hole for a metal dowel into each
end of the pin block to plate web interface. An inverted tuning pin
is driven into the pin block as the locating dowel. The plate flange
is de-burred with an angle grinder to allow for an easy release of
the epoxy paste, then the pin block is epoxy fitted with screws
installed. We don't use wood screws for securing the pin block to the
plate. Instead, we use 8 mm countersunk machine screws. Rock maple is
such a good material for forming a fine thread, so we cut the threads
into the pin block with a tap before fitting up the machine screws.

The epoxy fit-up provides a very accurate job without costing too much in time.

Ron O.

--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
   Grand piano manufacturers