clicking at key fram shift pin on Estonia grand

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:31:21 -0500

Hi folks,

A customer has a newer Estonia grand that softly clicks at the bass
end during shifting of the action.  It appears that the noise is
coming from the key frame shift pin hitting the side of the guide in
the bass cheek block.  I saddled a small piece of paper around the
notch of the guide to take up some of the clearance between it and the
pin and the problem is temporarily solved.

My question is that it appears that the fit between the pin and the
guide doesn't feel like it is any greater on this piano than any
other, yet the pin "slamming" into the wall of the guide makes it
click.

During action shifting the lever does seem to torque the action
front-to-back at the bass end, but it doesn't seem too excessive.

Why might this piano make a click when others don't, but more
important:  What's a good way to fix it?

Thanks for your contributions!

Mark Ultsch
Assoc., Madison Chapter