Erard evaluation

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:56:31 -0500

On 6/17/04, Bob Hull said:

>no tuning pin torque, block is split open, it was
>"rebuilt" before they bought it in New Orleans a few
>years ago.

I'm curious where they bought it in New Orleans, many of the antique
shops here are fairly scrupulous about rebuilding claims but some are
not. If it was worked on it may be more problematic than if it is
original. I have seen both Erards and Pleyels where some *&^% has
tried to stick modern hammers in, thoughtlessly changed action cloth,
generally boogered things up, and it can be a bear to restore. You
might want to consider consulting someone like Ed Swensen who has a
lot of experience with these.
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus, RPT