Shanks parallel to strings

Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:07:42 -0700

One problem with boring at the actual string height dimension is that you
may not get the hammers under the block in the bass.  That is a problem on
some of the older Bechsteins that are short-bored.  I would check that .  I
tend to want the hammer hitting at 90 degrees to start.  If the hammers are
short bored you can determine the rake with a let-off rack.  Set up the
action with end shanks on each section.  Slide it under the let-off rack
set to the string height for that section.  With your hammers bored based
on clearance and rest rail height etc.., slide the hammer on the shank on
the end of section and raise the hammer up to the let off rack.  Drop a
square off the let-off rack and rock the hammer back and forth until you
find the position where the moulding runs parallel to the square.  You will
have to overream a bit to get some play.  Then glue on the end hammers of
each section using this method and hang the rest of the hammers between
using yourthem as a guide.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net