consistent downbearing measurements

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:56:01 EDT

 Dan writes
 It has been interesting to note that generally a piano with "comparatively"
(That is compared to the many other pianos I service) good bearing will, as a
rule, have more power and sustain than those with little or none. It has also
been of interest that most pianos will have varying degrees of bearing
depending on where you measure along the bridge and, again, differing measurements
from bass to treble bridge on the same piano. I cannot confirm this with
scientific accuracy as of yet but it appears that there is generally a direct
correlation between lack of bearing and weak tone in a particular area of a piano

  Dan --I find this phenomena in most pianos. It may be just 1 note & it can
be right next to a note that sings. I'll even swap the hammers to see if this
is the difference & it never is. Plucking the strings will reveal this as well.
 I belive it's some form of design impedance or lack of it that cause this
anomlaly. Once you start noticing this you can find this on many pianos.
  It is true that if bearing is set inconsistently ,that sections of notes
will be affected.
   Typically a loss of crown& thus bearing will effect the killer octave
first but just as common in my practice I'll find a group of notes in octave 4
from about f thru d that have a weak sustain & a thwack type impact sound.
.(i.e. many pianos have very poor tonal characteristics at the end of the
treble bridge, crossing over to the bass. Very often, little or no bearing exists
at this spot on the bridge. More than a coincidence, I think.)
  This is caused by different things. Low string tensions for one, lack of
bridge mass. or stiffness int he board by being to close to the rim but not
usually bearing unless its severe.
  Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.