jack springs in drop action

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:01:10 -0600

Hi Julia,
It is possible to remove and replace the spring without removing the =
action. But for 6 or more, standing on my head is not my favorite thing =
to do.
Remove spring by grabbing with a forceps plier ( they grab and lock on =
the item being held and are very thin ) and twist the spring arround the =
jaws pulling it out of the hole.
The hard part will be cleaning the springs base hole out. There is a =
special tool for this that looks like a round saw. Droping the bridal =
strap will allow you to use the tool but you may need the new updated =
blue language dictionary to complete the removal of the old glue from =
the hole.  A drop of Gorilla glue in the hole and insert the new spring. =
Remember only a drop as this glue expands.
I hope all goes well.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 8:58 AM
  Subject: jack springs in drop action

  Greetings,

              I was called to tune a Kimball spinet player piano the =
other day on which a few (6) of the keys didnt work, only to find out =
that the jacks on these 6 keys were not returning all the way under the =
butt. This prevents the jack from delivering power the hammer.=20

               At first I thought the jack's center pin bushings were =
tight and swollen, then I saw the jack springs looked like they could =
use replacing. Is anyone familiar with this type of piano?=20

                Also, if the springs need replacing, is there a special =
tool or tweezer to reach back in there (drop action) to replace the =
spring?  Am I in for alot of labor here or what? Now I am thinking =
rehaps just a touch of a lubricant on the hammer's butt leather will do =
the trick. I didnt try that. Any suggestions?=20

  Thanks,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA