jack springs in drop action

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:58:55 EDT

Greetings,

            I was called to tune a Kimball spinet player piano the other day
on which a few (6) of the keys didnt work, only to find out that the jacks on
these 6 keys were not returning all the way under the butt. This prevents the
jack from delivering power the hammer.

             At first I thought the jack's center pin bushings were tight and
swollen, then I saw the jack springs looked like they could use replacing. Is
anyone familiar with this type of piano?

              Also, if the springs need replacing, is there a special tool or
tweezer to reach back in there (drop action) to replace the spring?  Am I in
for alot of labor here or what? Now I am thinking rehaps just a touch of a
lubricant on the hammer's butt leather will do the trick. I didnt try that. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA