Apart at the Seams (Epoxy??)

Richard Snelson rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:33:46 -0500

Having taken two of these piano backs apart, I don't see how epoxy =
poured in the joint is going to hold diddly. The back is failing because =
of the poor glue in the joint. Both sides of the failed joint failure is =
covered with glue power or residue. I tried to bond a couple of these =
pieces with epoxy without cleaning the old glue off. Result! Won't hold. =
The 6" maching screw through to the posts are really what's holding if =
you don't take the top apart and rebuild it. It a great shop job to =
rebuild the failure.=20
Rich
Richard Snelson
rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dean May=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:39 AM
  Subject: RE: Apart at the Seams

  >>Poured a bunch of West System epoxy into the voids. ! I usually =
drill downward into the cracks with a 1/8" drill every inch or two to =
make a channel for the epoxy to get down into the bottom of the crack...

  =20

  =20

  Put your epoxy into a syringe (available at farm supply stores) and =
get a drill bit the same size as the end of the syringe (leave needle =
off). Then start your hole about =BD inch from crack at about a 60 deg =
angle down, so that the bit comes out into the crack about an inch below =
the top. Inject your epoxy into this hole and it you can watch it fill =
the crack from the bottom up. You'll need to drill holes about every 3-4 =
inches.

  Dean

  =20

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359