Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:34:32 +0200

------=_NextPart_001_0023_01C4773D.C8F4BFD0
Do I see right, in the picture, that the note at the left side of the =
srut seems to have a shorter speaking length than the note at the right =
(or am I fooled by the persepctive of the pic) ?  And that at the right =
of the strut, choirs have three same speaking length, while at the left =
the three speaking length per choir are different (as Dale pointed out) =
?
Makes me think (like the limited range of front duplex) that they didn't =
like monotonous uniformity of sound all over the scale, back then.

Regards,

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 6:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

  Calin.=20

  I really dont see there is any physical impediment to making the =
surface area of the bridge wider so that a longer segment of the string =
comes in contact with the bridge anywhere along its length. Unless you =
are saying that the speaking length of the string required the front =
notch to be where it is, and the lack of  a dogleg then forces a shorter =
contact segment ?  That would make sense I suppose... so then, you are =
saying they did this to avoid using a dogleg in the bridge itself ?... =
Ok.. :) whats the benifit of avoiding the dogleg then ?

  Cheers
  RicB

  Calin Tantareanu wrote:=20
I still think it's because of the bridge having no dogleg. There's =
simply no
room for the larger contact area, so they made it smaller. Seems obvious =
me.
But if you can find another explanation, please tell us.

 =20

  Hmm.. not sure we are on the same page here. I mean the width of the
contact area of the bridge along the length of the stringss.  There is a
very marked gradual changing in this width, expecially noticeble  in the
   =20

 =20

------=_NextPart_001_0023_01C4773D.C8F4BFD0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...