Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:29:08 +0200

Calin.

I really dont see there is any physical impediment to making the surface
area of the bridge wider so that a longer segment of the string comes in
contact with the bridge anywhere along its length. Unless you are saying
that the speaking length of the string required the front notch to be
where it is, and the lack of  a dogleg then forces a shorter contact
segment ?  That would make sense I suppose... so then, you are saying
they did this to avoid using a dogleg in the bridge itself ?... Ok.. :)
whats the benifit of avoiding the dogleg then ?

Cheers
RicB

Calin Tantareanu wrote:

>I still think it's because of the bridge having no dogleg. There's simply no
>room for the larger contact area, so they made it smaller. Seems obvious to
>me.
>But if you can find another explanation, please tell us.
>

>>Hmm.. not sure we are on the same page here. I mean the width of the
>>contact area of the bridge along the length of the stringss.  There is a
>>very marked gradual changing in this width, expecially noticeble  in the

--------------080404050103040509060009
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------080404050103040509060009
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...