soft pedal on new Kawaii

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:13:24 EDT

Greetings,

              Why wouldn't a soft pedal on a brand new Kawaii studio upright
not make the piano play any softer when depressed?  I checked the distance of
the hammers and the pedal, caused the hammers, sure enough, to get closer to
the strings, but the tone of playing did not get softer as it should; I mean
alomost NO tonal difference.

               So...I adjusted the soft pedal screw, down at the pedal until
my ear was satified as to the softness. Adjusting this made the hammers
distance about 1/2" closer to the strings than it was set at. Then, when I looked at
the hammer rest rail, it was up off it's resting position on the action
bracket. In other words, there was about 1/4" space between the hammer rest rail's
bottom and the felt on the action brackets. When I measured the resting
position distance of the hammers to the strings it was 38mm!!  I know this is too
close, but now the pedal causes the hammers to play softer....

               The girl needed to practice for a college entrance or
something, so I lightly glued small pieces of felt in the space in between the rail
and the action brackets, as a temporary measure,  as to allow the pedal to do
what it is suppose to do, so she could practice. Howevwer, I told them I would
investigate the specs and visit as a follow up. What could the true problem be
here? My guess that it has to do with voicing. (38mm and up off the action
bracket, doesn't seem right and scares me.) Thanks for expertise in advance.

            (By the way, this was a call from the piano dealer, for their
first free tuning and to look art this pedal's problem under warranty.)

rookie,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA