Baldwin accujust hitch pins

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 08:15:26 -0400

Charles Walter Pianos uses a vertical hitch pin (at least their current
grand), however it has a groove around the upper portion that forces the
string to ride at a specified height (it is not vertically adjustable like
the Baldwin). Don't know what will be on their new grand.

I like them. I routinely modify plates during the rebuilding process and
convert from traditional hitch pins to vertical hitch pins. I use simple
stainless spring pins. However, the bridge top does indeed need to be planed
to proper height for downbearing - but you do have a bit of play when
placing the string on the pin - you want it up off the plate, but you don't
want it so high that you introduce excessive hitch pin torque on the plate.

Don't see how a vertical hitch pin could be associated with tuning
instability - unless of course a two adjacent notes with radically different
string tensions share a string - but you shouldn't have that anyway - but
from a factory, who knows.

Terry Farrell