Baldwin accujust hitch pins

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello John,

Some people like them, and I know a couple who really
dislike them.  I think they are a very intelligent
solution.  You can adjust the downbearing exactly as
you wish on every string, and the manufacturing
process is greatly simplified - the bridge top doesn't
have to be custom tailored to the plate.

The main cause of tuning instability on Baldwins is
that the pin block often hasn't been fit to the plate
flange.  With time, the pin block can move.

I don't know of any other manufacturer who uses the
Baldwin hitch pin design.

Vladan

Someone I know complains the Baldwin hitch pins cause
them to not stay
in tune. I can't imagine the hitch pin would affect
tuning in that way,
but I wanted to ask what other technicians on the list
think about
that.

Any other comments about the hitch pins are welcome. I
understand their
purpose (isn't there another piano maker that uses a
similar idea?),
but I wasn't sure if it was actually useful in the
real world.