tuning HT's by ear

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:00:37 -0700

Well, now you've done it...we'll be bombarded by Hysterical=
 Tuners for the next month or so...;-]

David I.

From: Joe Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: tuning HT's by ear

Charles Neuman asked: "Does that sound like a reasonable=
 approach?"

Charles et al,
Sheesh! No it does not. Taking into consideration that ancient=
 instruments had quite a bit LESS inharmonicity would give you=
 the idea that NO STRETCH is more appropriate, IMHO!! If you=
 attempt to tune all of the octaves as pure as possible then you=
 will come a bit closer to what the "Great Masters" had in mind=
 and heard. However, it is my opinion that any HT on a modern=
 instrument, (excluding Modern HT's), is an excercise in futility=
 and maybe a bit of stupidity, as well. Modern pianos, with high=
 tension/inharmonicity factors do not truly convey the  "true"=
 sound of HT's.
Just my thoughts, having done many HT's on both Modern and true=
 ancient instruments.
As for tuning HT's, aurally, to improve your aural skills, that's=
 a good thing and I encourage it. Just don't put modern tuning=
 criteria into the mix, please.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police