Replacing Upright Pinblocks (was Re: Old uprights)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:19:49 -0400

David Nereson wrote:
"I guess any chewed-up wood or gaps will be filled by the glue you use when
it's re-assembled, but the surface on which the new block is glued has to
remain relatively undamaged."

I like the chainsaw idea for the pinblock removal. I used to trim trees
professionally - now why didn't I think of that? However, you are correct
that it will leave a "chewed up" set of backposts and spacers. That is one
of the fabulous qualities of West System type epoxy. The more chewed up your
surface is, the better it adheres! So no worry about that at all. In fact,
if your surface is smooth, it is recommended that you rough it up with very
coarse sandpaper.

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com