Old Uprights, gotta love em.

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:57:14 -0700 (PDT)

Terry,
Ryan does first class piano work. He hosts PTG chapter meetings and hosts in-home concerts for the community. He invites critique and criticism of the pianos he has for sale. I suspect Ryan offers a five year guarantee, because he values his integrity as a piano technician.

I, on the other hand, am not as skilled as Ryan, and provide only one year warranty on the few used old uprights I sell. :-)

Dave Davis
Renton, WA

Terry wrote:
My post was addressing a "refurbished" piano. You indicate that you are addressing a "rebuilt" piano. I realize these two terms represent range along a continuum.

What is a refurbished piano? I consider a refurbished piano one that has had all broken things fixed and adjusted but no parts are replaced other than those necessary for "reasonable" function (most of the action is likely original and the piano has likely not been restrung).

In such a case, most of the piano is going to be 100 years old. IMHO, I could not feel comfortable offering any guarantee on such a piano (well, maybe five minutes).

What is a rebuilt piano? Well, we all know there is a wide range of definitions. But at a minimum, rebuilt implies that everything will work pretty well. If the action was not in very good condition, it would be replaced, the piano would be restrung, etc., etc. For a rebuilt piano, yes, I agree that one should be willing to offer some sort of guarantee.

At least in my mind, there is a huge difference between "rebuilt" and "refurbished". Rebuilt means anything that is significantly worn is replaced or fixed or whatever. Rebuilt means the piano should work quite well. Refurbished means you fixed that really bad things that prevented the note from playing, but most of the original parts are still in place. Refurbished suggests a decently functioning old piano with old parts. No way would I offer any guarantee on that.

Terry Farrell