Workman's Compensation Insurance

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:44:25 -0600

I'd be interested in what you pay for a worker compensation insurance that
covers you.  Most insurers are not happy to do so and I've seen rates
varying from $1500 to $2000 per month.  I suppose if you incorporate you
can reduce some of that angst.  Typically when a worker comp certificate is
required you get the minimal insurance, exempting yourself as a company
officer, that covers an occasional part-time employee.  You present that
certificate to the demanding party.  They don't know or care wether you're
covered.  All they needed was another slip of paper in their file to
present in the case of an injury showing that they don't have to cover for
worker compensation.  They might have some liability, but they have
insurance for that too.  Typically when a comp certificate is asked for,
they want a commercial liability insurance certificate too.

Andrew