Hammer Resurfacing

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:01:22 -0700

Tom said: "I vote for reshaping---

            Tom Driscoll
Tom,
Stop and think about it, please.<G> The "shape", (in/on normal hammers =
is dictated by the shape of the moulding, then the underfelt, then the =
shape of the skived felt, (before pressing..AND finally, by the shape of =
the culls that the hammers are pressed into. When we take a sandpaper =
file and/or strip, we are actually "peeling" a consistant LAYER of felt =
from the outer surface of the hammer. As we get closer to the core felt, =
the shape does change, due to the distortion/compaction of the felt. =
Unless the hammer has been laquered, (in excess, IMO), then any "shape" =
can be obtained, although it may not be the ideal. Or, in some cases may =
actually be the optimum "shape". This, I think, is the situation with =
current Steinway hammers. Unless they have quit the practice of =
"Pre-Voicing" their hammers, the above still applies. Their =
"Pre-voicing" is simply adding a whole lot of lacquer to the hammer, =
BEFORE it ever gets glued on in an action.=20
I personally, refuse to use Steinway hammers for this reason. It is =
extremely pretentious of them to assume that they know the acoustical =
preference of the customer or the acoustical environment that the piano =
exists in. In short, extremely cavalier attitude, IMHO.
It is nice that they are now, (finally!), realizing that their pressing =
system needs some "tweeking". If they would produce hammers like the =
ones they made back in the early part of the 20th Century, I'd buy them =
in a N.Y. second, but alas, they don't....so I don't.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I