Lock tite- wood epoxy

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:53:07 -0500

Thanks for passing this on again.

I like the idea.  I'll have to try it.  I wonder if the screw can be =
tightened more, once the epoxy has hardened (in case two mating parts =
have to be drawn tightly together, for example).

Out of curiosity, is the Lock tite wood epoxy viscous or more putty- or =
paste-like?

Mark
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 7:31 PM
  Subject: Lock tite- wood epoxy

    List=20
    Ever now & then we require a small amount of quick drying epoxy for =
small jobs, such as reinforcing screw holes or filling a piece of a =
bridge patch that was inadvertently lifted off during notching. (Yes, it =
happens) This brand dries quickly & is approx color of maple, which is =
nice.
    Also I often find the small screw holes in the music desk of =
Steinways to be woefully insufficient for doing its job of holding the =
thing together, especially in cases where much use ,age & abuse is/has =
occured. Keith Roberts devised a repair in our shop which fills the =
holes with the epoxy and leaves just the tip of a tooth pickin the hole  =
to help keep the swabbed mixture in place. He then sprays the screws =
with a mold release, Mclube, & inserts the screws as the epoxy get s =
about half hard. With the mold release the screws will easily back out =
if needed & the repair is really strong.
        Dale