Inquiring mind

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:37:19 -0500

Richard,

There are a lot of variations of success on the piano tuner/technician =
theme.   I'm not sure what kind of comparison can be done. =20

After 3.5 years of business I was busier than a one armed paper =
hanger--but it all depends on things like population, =
connections--(working for a good dealer who can feed referrals is good =
at the beginning), demand (how artistic your community is and its =
economic health)  business sense/people skills and of course, the =
quality of work you do. =20

Do you attend the Toronto chapter PTG meetings?  Some chapters are =
friendlier than others.  Is there a lot of competition?   I would say =
that if there is a lot of competition, the best thing you can do is =
excellent work, have good people skills and be reliable.  Actually, I =
would say that is the only way to do business.  :-)

Good luck,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: lgulli2586=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 9:35 AM
  Subject: Inquiring mind

  Hello
  I am new to the list, and find the archives, info and humour
  informative and entertaining.
  I am in Sothern Ontario, Canada, and although there are a dozen tecks =
and tuners hear, it is not a friendly envirement, most keep to =
themselves. No referals for work etc, even though they may not be set up =
to do repairs etc.
  I feel pretty much on my own.
  What I would like to know is general in nature...how old is =
everybody...how long in biz...how many private..how many tunes a week =
etc...I want to determine where I am after 3.5 years full time
  Richard Gullion