leveling grand keys/heights

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 05:56:18 -0500

Also, I have been using the thin hitch pin felt punchings for my center =
rail felt in recent years. It is thinner than most proper "center rail =
felt punchings". They are thick enough to stop noise, but they are much =
more stable than the thicker things. Their use has drastically reduced =
key leveling frustration for me.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: D.L.Bullock=20
  To: Alpha88x@aol.com ; pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 11:15 PM
  Subject: RE: leveling grand keys/heights

  Did you perchance think to level and dip the sharps?  They are just as =
important.  New keybed felt will often cause hammer line variation.  You =
can expect to never be able to replace keyfelts and level a keyboard =
without having to reset hammer line.  In fact each step you take in =
grand regulation will knock others out.  That is why to do the job right =
you must go through it in a definite order and you must go through is =
3-4 times...sometimes more.  Eventually everything stays where it is =
supposed to be.

  Please read the regulation book by Danny Boone available at Schaff.  =
It is the best one I have seen plus he taught me his methods of =
regulation before he wrote the book.

  D.L. Bullock  St. Louis
  www.thepianoworld.com