leveling grand keys/heights

D.L.Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:15:08 -0600

Did you perchance think to level and dip the sharps?  They are just as
important.  New keybed felt will often cause hammer line variation.  You can
expect to never be able to replace keyfelts and level a keyboard without
having to reset hammer line.  In fact each step you take in grand regulation
will knock others out.  That is why to do the job right you must go through
it in a definite order and you must go through is 3-4 times...sometimes
more.  Eventually everything stays where it is supposed to be.

Please read the regulation book by Danny Boone available at Schaff.  It is
the best one I have seen plus he taught me his methods of regulation before
he wrote the book.

D.L. Bullock  St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com [mailto:Alpha88x@aol.com]
  Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 11:07 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: leveling grand keys/heights

  Greetings list,

                   I am doing my very first grand regulation. After
carefully measuring the felt punchings thickness, I ordered new ones and
replaced both front and balance rail felt punchings because they were shot.
I also replaced keytops. The new keytops were .03 thicker than the old ones.
I knew from the beginning I would have to compensate in the regulation for
the new key heights, and probably some of the residual miscellaneous felt
height as well.

                   At the job site I put lead weights on the keys' backs and
levelled the white keys and then set the key dips on the whites as well.
Then, because I am green at this, I removed the the keyframe from it's bed
and replaced the stack, screwed it down and when I slid it back in, the keys
were all different heights(!) What went wrong? Are the keys supppose to do
this. Are my weights too heavy? Must I consider keyweight when leveling
keys?

  rookie,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA