Back from Amsterdam

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:15:24 +0200

Hi folks

Just got back yesterday from a 4 day visit with Andre in Amsterdam where
we exchanged a bit of experience and expertise. Andre is by far the
finest voicing teacher I could ever have hoped to run into, and we had a
great time working in his shop and enjoying each others company in the
evening. He is a great cook too by the way.

When I got there on Monday he had an older C3 set up and ready to go...
nicely regulated... brand new Wurzen hammers by Renner, and he simply
sat me down in front of it and told me to voice it for him.... and by
and large he insisted on  me doing nearly all the work, and making
nearly all the decisions along the way.  The object here was to create
as beautiful and yet powerfull a sound as possible... to attempt a
concert level voicing on a small C3, so there was no fooling around or
cutting corners... no compromises allowed.  We conversed a good deal
along the way... comparing what each of us thought should be done
next... and all the while he had this uncanny nack for prodding my ears
to notice the slightest nuances in sounds.  I was encouraged to try out
my own sound ideas... (within reason of course) and he used any and all
things I did to show me how one can correct for errors... or shift
directions if one finds one has a change of heart along the way.

I was struck several times during my stay there with the fact that so
very very many a young technician starts off his / her career and many
of these are individuals with talent and passion, and you just know they
will spend their lives working on and learning about pianos..... and
tragically they almost never get a chance to get this kind of training.
I also was struck by the strongest of desires that I should have learned
this stuff years ago.  You can be a great tuner, but if you cant really
build tone on the level these few can.... then you are quite limited
actually to where you can go in your career.. and what you can do with
what you know.  But if you can build this kind of tone......  well life
and work becomes far more interesting and enjoyable.

Andre is a true master of tone building... make no mistake about it.
I've heard the usual erten number of voicing classes, and guys who do
classes, all the variants you can ask for.... but once in a while you
run into a piano that quite obviously has been treated by somebody
special. It speaks so obviously in testimony of that masters hands.
Andre is one of these guys. I was really quite blown away with what he
could show me... what he could do... what he knows, what he could pry
out of me.

And of top of all that... grin... he's one of the truly nice guys of our
trade. Really hospitable, warm and genuinely freindly.

Just wanted to publicly thank my freind for a wonderful  time in Amsterdam

Cheers

RicB.

By the way... this old C3 came out realllllly great.  Some interesting
notes for builders.... it had the early Yamaha version of the <<Steinway
Tone Resonator>> or <<Bell>>... whatever you want to call it, a very
prominant cutoff bar to limit the size of the soundboard quite a large
bit.... and some strange beam bracing  I've not noticed / encountered
before.... evidently meant to stabilize the beams cross directionally...
tho perhaps those in the know about such matters can offer a better
purpose for these.  This thing sounded really better...by a long
shot....  then alot of new C3's I've run into lately.