Rebuild Sales Approach

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:45:12 -0500

I would say bring them to your shop or one of your customer's house where a
similar S&S piano is that you have restored completely and have them play
that.  Tell them you think theirs will sound possibly better than this
because their piano is such a great piano.  It will work like a charm.
D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Farrell [mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com]
  Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:04 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Rebuild Sales Approach

  I've been servicing a 1920s S&S L for five years. It plays like a truck,
has loose tuning pins, dead bass strings, false beats and a dismal killer
octave section. The owner knows the action is toast and wants it rebuilt.
However, his wife has commented on how nice it sounds since Mr. Patchemup
restrung (totally rebuilt, of course) the piano some thirty years ago. For
some reason I am hesitant to try and sell the whole package - which it
definitely needs if the piano is to perform like it should/could.

  Any recommendations on how to approach this without sounding like a used
car salesman?

  He has already told me he wants to do the action after he moves this
summer (to a condo on the bay - as in no $$ troubles here).

  Thanks.

  Terry Farrell