Rebuild Sales Approach

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:49:23 +1000

At 12:04 PM -0400 29/4/04, Farrell wrote:

>Any recommendations on how to approach this without sounding like a
>used car salesman?

As David L mentioned, encouraging the potential client to try a
previously rebuilt piano is an excellent way of getting them over the
line.

We have had good success in arranging for potential clients to try
rebuilt instruments in the customers home or the performance venue.
There's no better sales person for you than a satisfied customer.
Just yesterday I inspected a 25 year old Kawai KG6 in a school. This
piano now has a sound board curvature which is only just satisfactory
and the back cut bridge caps all need replacing, but it still has a
satisfactory tone underlying the mess. The action needs to be thrown,
so I've suggested replacing it with one of ours. The Kawai KG action
rails can receive the Overs action wippens and shanks once the
original wippen rail is moved 12 mm towards the front of the keys and
packed up 3 mm. Since the teacher has some reservations about
changing the 'beautiful' action of the school's KG6, I've arranged
for her to take a couple of her students in to the Sydney
Conservatorium to try our no. 5. We're very fortunate that piano no.
5 is sharing the East Recital Hall at the Con with a late model
Hamburg Steinway. I just hope the D stays in residence for a while to
help us along.

Best,
Ron O.
--