Freight costs from piano suppliers

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 03:48:06 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pamela Jenkins" <pjx2@runpoint.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 1:27 PM
Subject: Freight costs from piano suppliers

> HI list,
> This is Pam Jenkins in Maine.  I have been somewhat disgruntled with
> the high shipping costs from piano suppliers and was wondering if you
> have found any difference in those costs from one supplier to another.
> Thanks

    Yes. I ordered two strings from a stringmaker in Tennessee who used UPS
and the "freight" (probably less than $2) was included in the amount I had
to send in for the strings.  No prob'.
    On the other hand, I ordered a couple very small lightweight parts from
Yamaha and they found it necessary to send it Fed Ex express or high
priority or whatever (which I didn't request), in an envelope large enough
to hold a music rack, and the shipping cost (not included in the order) was
almost half what the parts cost.  Totally unnecessary!
    What annoys me is companies who pack tiny parts into huge boxes filled
with excessive amounts of packing peanuts, butcher paper, styrofoam,
cardboard, bubble packs, etc.  It's out-of-control waste and pollution in
that most people don't make the effort to recycle that stuff.  And some of
it, like plastic and styrofoam is darn hard to recycle.
    Schaff isn't too bad in that regard.  They use a little too much
"butcher paper", but not outrageously.
    --David Nereson, RPT