Some more info about our new hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:29:58 +0200

On 26-apr-04, at 23:52, Joe And Penny Goss wrote:

> Andr'e, Sorry that is as close as my computer knows how to put the=A0=A0=
=A0=20
> '=A0=A0=A0 on.
> All I can really say is WOW. Nice lookin' hammers.
> Is the taper of the molding graduated in all of the upper hammers?
> Joe Goss

Thanks Joe,
Actually I made a typo, they are not Bechstein L hammers, they are just=20=

Bechstein hammers.
Our next Bechstein hammer will have a walnut Yamaha/steinway molding,=20
Bechstein green underfelt, and the thinnest treble molding possible,=20
just like the old Bechstein hammers and to avoid problems with=20
agraffes.
On top of that, I must tell you that, from now on, all our hammers will=20=

be covered with the very latest and very best Wurzen quality possible.
I have, until recently, never heard such a beautiful tone. This all=20
thanks to Jack Brand, the maker of Wurzen felt in East Germany. For=20
many years he has tried to bring back the quality felt once known as=20
Weickert felt, and I now know that he has succeeded 100% in doing so.
In Europe, the major factories want Wurzen felt on their hammers which=20=

is provided for by the Renner company in G=E4rtringen DL.

I do not completely understand your question about the taper of the=20
molding. On the picture you see Nr 1 bass hammer, Nr 26 Treble hammer=20
and Nr 88 treble hammer.
As we get further into the treble, the molding gets thinner and=20
thinner, if that's what you mean?
The new felt used on these hammers has the density I like. As I am not=20=

a laquer user nor a hammer doper, I want a hammer that needs some=20
needling because if the middle section is such that hardly any needling=20=

is required, the lower bass and the treble are usually too soft. For=20
that reason I choose a firm hammer that requires maybe 20-25 stitches=20
in the middle section and very few stitching in the high treble and=20
bass. The lower bass I needle up, because it always needs it. Most=20
often the whole bass blossoms up with this treatment.

In any case, relatively little work is needed and the hammer fibers=20
need no hardening agent at all except maybe in the highest treble (last=20=

5 hammers) and lowest bass hammers, but only for concert work.

This is just my account of the latest Wurzen felt and not a promotion=20
for my personal voicing method as everybody has their own.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -