Steinway V hammers

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:41:06 EDT

In a message dated 27/04/04 8:26:23 AM, Tvak@aol.com writes:

<< OK, I was all ready to go here, and then wait a minute...   5 to 1 is less

thick than 3 to 1?   Do I have this backwards?   Is it 5 parts lacquer to 1
part

thinner, or vice versa?

Tom Sivak >>

I was gonna just bypass this discussion but it seems to be getting
murkier...at least to me.

 Low ratios of laquer/thinner 'do' leave much laquer closer to the surface
thereby precluding effective second or third applications, for all practical
purposes.........Low ratio laquer/thinner acts much the same as keytop/acetone in
this regard.
I consider anything under 1/9 ratios to be 'low'

 Much higher ratios of laquer/thinner are more effective as a first , second
or third application. A higher ratio solution will carry the laquer deeper
into the hammerr felt and not leave as much laquer on the surface layers....thus
a second and third application is effective.
I consider 1/10 and higher to be suitable for most of the work I do.....this
allows me to 'selectively' apply the mixture where it is needed, if it is, and
build up the sound/tone I am looking for.

 Lower ratios are better suited for 'on the spot' work while higher ratios
are better suited for 'shop' work where time is not the most pressing factor.
My view.....mileages do vary. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)