Ringing dampers in drop action

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:33:56 -0700

Julie asked: "20

                Also, what is a "dummy rod"? I looked for one of those =
or what may possibly look like one and did not see one. "

Julie,
It's a Dummy Damper!!!!!!! This beastie is a regular damper lever w/o a
damper wire and it has a STRONGER SPRING. It is usually mounted between the
dampers at the "break". It's job is to make the lift rod sit in it's full
"off" position and not let it touch the levers. Got it?<G>
The damper rod may have had sufficient "lost motion", but if the action does
not have a dummy damper, that may be your problem. No, you can't buy them,
as far as I know. I make them out of regular damper levers by taking the
damper wire off and adding a really heavy spring made out of piano wire. You
need to know how to do this stuff, so have fun.<G> As other posters have
said, it could be that the damper heads are not parallell with the strings,
causing the damper to only hit at the top of the pad. This is very common
and easily fixed. (That is if you've got the proper tools.)
Best regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I