Samick grand: info needed, part 2

Paul Mulik tubist@swbell.net
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:27:58 -0500

Hello again list,

Yesterday I asked for comments about Samick grands.  Thank you to everyone
who responded.  Today I have more details (and more questions).

I checked out the piano today, and except for a few dull spots in the finish
and some chipped veneer on one leg, the condition was excellent.  I
understand some Samicks are known to have poor tone in the bass, but on this
one, the bass sounds great -- clean and powerful.  I was surprised to see
that the treble strings are all individually tied; I didn't know any
manufacturers still did this.  The action needs regulating (there's no
aftertouch) and the hammers have string cuts, but this should be easily
correctable.  I used the torque wrench on about 10 tuning pins at random,
and they registered between 50-55 inch/pounds.  At $3,300, this piano seems
like a real bargain.

This particular Samick grand is a model G-5 A.  Does anyone know what the
"A" signifies?  G-5 is cast into the plate; the A is stamped on.  I tried
searching the ptg archives and the whole Internet, but couldn't find
anything about this model.  Perhaps it was only made for a few years.

The serial number is 832474.  I don't have a Pierce Atlas yet, so if someone
could please look it up and let me know the date of manufacture, I'd
appreciate it.  The seller said the piano was eleven years old, but I'd like
to confirm this.

Thanks again,
Paul Mulik, associate member
Joplin, MO