Ringing dampers in drop action

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:38:45 +0000

Hi Julie,

Ringing could be caused by spoons causing dampers to lift early, not late.
Don't start messing with those just yet....

Did you check if the ring was coming from the bass string's partials
ringing?  (strike an offending note sharply, then mute the note you are
playing with something. (your finger) Does it still ring?  If so, you've got
to go looking.  If not, then do the same test, only touching one string at a
time, to see if it is just one string not being muted.

Is it worth it?  Well, for educational value, yes.  Beyond that, it's your
call.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

<snip>
                          The pedal rod's "lost motion"  was okay, however
the damper lift
on most of the keys' keystroke was a bit late. I think it may a spoon
problem. My question is how does one adjust the spooons on a spinet? They
are really
"buried" in there. Is there a special tool for reaching back there or must
one
remove the entire drop action? (Ugh, not so fun.)
<snip>