Ringing dampers in drop action

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:38:14 -0400

On Apr 26, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

> Lastly, is a spinet really worth all this?

Adjusting the spoons properly? Yes!

> (as an ameteur classical player myself, I don't think so) Is a "quick
> fix" of just bending the damper wires so bad after all?

Yes! Don't do it! Yikes, what did y'all spend your time doing up there
in Western Ontario?? Seriously, get some spoon bending tools, and pick
up a junker spinet and practice practice practice. I know, it ain't
easy working blind.
Another approach is to take up all the lost motion, and eyeball whether
they're all lifting immediately, or whether or not some damper lift is
acceptable. Use chalk to mark the damper heads that need adjusting,
then pull the action and adjust the spoons with damper wire regulating
tools if necessary.
You DO need to practice puling spinet actions if you expect to make
ordinary household piano servicing your trade.

Patrick
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched