Hammer wobble

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:53:17 -0700

Hi Joe,
Just curious, what criteria do you use to decide if a center is tight
enough?  Grams? Swings?  Thanks,
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Joseph Garrett
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 4:40 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Hammer wobble

John M. Ross said: "Did I hear on the list a while back, that some
techs,
repin the complete new
set, to ensure uniformity?"
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

John,
I've found that most new parts sets require, at least 50% of them, to be
repinned to proper specs. There are some manufacturer's goods, that
require
more in the 90% to 95% to be repinned! I wish it were different, but
it's
not, so I deal with it and just pass the cost on to the client.
Considering
that parts costs are a very small portion of the cost of
rebuilding/repairing, etc., I just do it. Of course, the anal part of me
is
mumbling all the while, because we shouldn't have to rebuild new parts
to do
our rebuilding! O.K. I'm done with my rant.<G>
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I