Wyman Microgrand - YUK!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 06:02:18 -0400

I tuned a Wyman Microgrand the other day. The piano is about a year old. =
Is this a Chinese or Indonesian product? Where on earth did this thing =
come from?

A couple interesting features: A 5-ply laminated soundboard and a 5-ply =
laminated bridge cap in the high treble. The soundboard had micro-thin =
exterior veneers of some spruce-looking material (contact paper?) and =
the interior three ply clearly appeared to be some type of hardwood - =
poplar? birch? selectus garbagatum?=20

Now the bridge cap - that thing really rocked me. The long bridge was a =
solid piece of some kind of hardwood and the manufacturer actually =
notched out an 8 mm or so thick chunk off the top of this fine bridge to =
insert the laminated cap. Clearly, this was done on-purpose. Presumably =
there was a reason to do this. What was that reason? Because they have a =
no-compromise approach to piano building? Because the bridge otherwise =
sounded sooooo bad - the laminated cap was an afterthought fix attempt? =
Because they monitor this list? I don't know what the cap was made of. =
It was not maple or beech. Could it have been ironwood (I don't think =
so)? I hope it was not the same material the soundboard was made of - it =
did look similar and the laminations were about the same thickness.

Yeah, but how did it sound? Much like an uninspired microgrand. Small. =
Constrained. Short sustain. Lots of false stuff up in the high treble.

Oh, and did I mention the tuning pins? "CRACK!"  Many of them did the =
jumpy thing. And all of them flagpoled enough to make a Steinway =
vertical seem like Steinway must use half-inch diameter hardened tuning =
pins. If you wanted to raise or lower the pitch a half-cent, you would =
have to go 20 cents up or down to get any movement. During the pitch =
raise, I had to go 50 cents sharp to get the pitch where I wanted it =
after removing hammer from pin. And that's the ones that were not jumpy! =
YIKES!

Anyway, that's all I gots to say 'bout that.

Terry Farrell