Acetone

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:06:54 +0200

Stéphane Collin wrote:

> About voicing, dope, sound and subjectivity, one thing I haven't read
> yet and I think is very true, is that two individuals don't hear sound
> the same way.  We all have our filters designed in our ears and in our
> brain.  The sounds we hear have influence on how we hear sounds.
> Brain does adapt very quickly the way it hears to whatever things it
> hears.
>
> Stéphane Collin.
>
> Richard Brekne a écrit :

Well said and good point Stéphane. Yet somehow there seems to be a
common thread to even this matter as seems so often apparent in so many
others.  The greatest techs in the eyes of the finest musicians.... the
techs that the Rubensteins, the Van Cliburns, the Friedmans,
Pogorelichs, Hlinkas, Haskils, etc etc... always demand are those few
master tonebuilders that always are wizards of the needle.

I know personally of three guys in Europe that get flown around all over
the place, to the irritation and endless frustration of all the local
techs wherever they go.  And the reason is the same... these three are
master tonebuilders in the traditional sense of the word. When they
leave a piano... it sparkles and is mellow at the same time... brilliant
while soothing simultaneously.  They use needles and filing paper and
almost never anything else.  And they are extremely detail oriented
about regulation issues directly related to that moment of contact
between hammer and string.

Somehow it all seems to come around what goes around.  Its like this
strange phenomenon of Steinway dominance.... like it or not... for
whatever reasons you choose to believe... they are veiwed by the vast
majority of the concert pianist world as by far and away the very best
pianos available. What they put in .... comes out just they way they
like it.

Tastes vary.... true... but beneath  all that human subjectivity seem to
lay some constants that alamingly many find themselves in pursuit of....
but then I'm not really a relativist at heart you see... so my
perspective is decidely tainted. :)

Cheers
RicB