bass hammers sounding "tubby"

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:24:49 +0000

Hey Julia,

One quick test is to pluck the string.  Does it still sound dead?  If so, no
amount of messing with the hammer will fix the tone.  Some suggest lowering
the tension about a third and banging on the note.  Bring it up to pitch and
see if it helps.  Some recommend adding a twist to the string in the
direction of the winding.  I've heard of people removing the string from the
hitch pin and winding it around a coke bottle, then rolling the bottle up
and down to loosen and remove the crud from between the windings.  I've
never tried the old method of removing the string and "whacking" it on the
ground to bring it back.  The "best" solution is to replace them; and
rescale while you are there.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

  When the bass hammers of a particular turn of the century upright
are played they sound "tubby", a very "round" dull sound. Would these
hammers
be a candidate for hardening solution or is it the strings' quality? I think
it is the hammers because the bass hammers have hardly any grooves and show
little wear.
Suggestions?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA