Ringing dampers in drop action

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:57:30 -0700

David said: ">

    Usually making the springs stronger does not help damping much.
Something else is wrong.  If the dampers don't follow when you push in on
the strings, then they need to be bent in toward the strings farther.
    They have to follow some.  If they don't, they're not exerting any
pressure on the strings.  They only have to follow 1/16" or so, maybe 1/8"
max.  I would do that first before strengthening springs.  There are many
(not all) old pianos that have never had their damper springs strengthened
and they still damp well, if the felts haven't stiffened or otherwise
deteriorated."
    --David Nereson, RPT

The first part, I agree with. The second paragraph....NOT! In most drop
actions, the angle of the action rail/damper lift rod pivots is not vertical
and allows the damper lift rod to rest against the damper tails. This was
usually compensated for with a "dummy damper" that pushed the lift rail
against it's felt stop and away from the damper levers. The first thing I'd
check would be to see if this action has a "dummy damper". If not, I'd
insert one. The second thing to do would be to check the lift of the spoons.
If the lift is at 1/2 to 1/3-2/3, (depending on one's preference), then and
only then would I start bending damper wires! Also, don't do anything until
you've ascertained that the pedal/trapwork is adjusted correctly, (with a
little lost motion).
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police