Ringing dampers in drop action

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:57:08 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Alpha88x@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:19 AM
Subject: Ringing dampers in drop action

> Greetings,
>
>              Cable Nelson spinet with  drop action has dampers that ring
when
> the key is played. I tried bending the dampers a bit forward as a quick
fix
> for the inevitable; either new damper springs or re-tensioning the springs
via
> messsage; putting a curvature back in the springs by tenderly
> bending/messaging them while the action is inside the piano.
>
>               Which is better to do; re-tension the springs outside the
piano
> (ooo, my back, alot of bending over) or removing the action and doing the
> same thing OR removing the action and just replacing those springs?
>
>               On another line of thought, what could be some other causes
> that this problem exists? When I push slightly on the strings the damper
does not
> "hug" or follow the string. This indicates to me that the spring tension
is
> weak, but could somehing else be wrong that imitates the symptom of the
damper
> not "hugging"/ following the string?
>
> Julia Gottchall,
> Reading, PA

    Usually making the springs stronger does not help damping much.
Something else is wrong.  If the dampers don't follow when you push in on
the strings, then they need to be bent in toward the strings farther.
    They have to follow some.  If they don't, they're not exerting any
pressure on the strings.  They only have to follow 1/16" or so, maybe 1/8"
max.  I would do that first before strengthening springs.  There are many
(not all) old pianos that have never had their damper springs strengthened
and they still damp well, if the felts haven't stiffened or otherwise
deteriorated.
    --David Nereson, RPT