Ringing dampers in drop action

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:28:57 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/04 11:20:11 AM, Alpha88x@aol.com writes:

> When I push slightly on the strings the damper does not "hug" or follow the
> string.

Check the damper pedal to see if the pedal rod is keeping the damper levers
from contacting the strings fully.   There should be a bit of lost motion when
the pedal is depressed before the damper levers move. Sometimes I find that
the damper pedal is adjusted fine, but the middle pedal, which may be a bass
damper lift pedal, is adjusted incorrectly, causing the problem.   So be sure to
check that, too.

Tom Sivak
Chicago